Try out this recipe for a summer salad with fruit mixed in for a filling, delicious light meal.
Summer Fruit Salad with Arugula and Almonds
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon almond oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 large nectarines – about two pounds – 3 sliced about ¼ inch thick and 1 coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint blackberries or Persian mulberries
- 4 bunches of arugula, roughly 1¼ pounds, with large stems discarded
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small pie plate, toss the almonds with ½ teaspoon of the almond oil and sprinkle with salt, for about 8 minutes. In a mini food processor, puree the chopped nectarine. Transfer the puree to a small bowl, add the shallot, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in the olive oil and remaining tablespoon of almond oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Put the sliced nectarines and the blackberries in a medium bowl. Drizzle on one-third of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. In a large, shallow bowl, season the arugula with salt and pepper and toss gently with the remaining vinaigrette. Gently toss in the dressed fruit. Garnish with the almonds and serve immediately. All those seasonings and fruit combined with some healthy greens sounds heavenly.
If you’re looking for other ideas on healthy living, set up an appointment to visit us by giving us a call at 717-840-9885 or clicking on the button below.