We’ve all eaten not-so-healthy foods while under stress. That habit can actually help you remain calm if you eat the right foods. Try keeping some of the following on hand and you might circumvent any feelings of anxiety.
- Tea: Known for being soothing, tea has been shown to help people reduce stress. Green tea features an amino acid known as theanine, also shown to reduce anxiety and help calm.
- Omega-3 rich fish: Fish such as salmon and tuna caused a 20 percent lower anxiety level among those who ate them regularly. The food keeps stress hormones from increasing.
- Green vegetables: Found in many leafy, green vegetables such as spinach, the mineral magnesium is important to help calm nerves and make muscles relax.
- Dark chocolate: Chocolate contains antioxidants that are known to help soothe; those who eat chocolate regularly have been shown to have lower levels of stress hormones in their body.
- Vitamin C: Found easily in oranges, it’s been demonstrated that those eating vitamin C were more quickly able to recover from stressful situations. Blood pressure and stress hormones both decreased more readily because of the vitamin.
If you feel like you are often stressed or tense, try adding some of these foods to your diet on a regular basis. For more ideas on ways to relieve stress, give us a call at 717-840-9885 or click on the button below to make an appointment.
Dr. Julie Drolet
P.S. Did you recently have an appointment with us? Fill out thissurvey to tell us about your experience.