For National Nutrition Month, your plan to become healthier will be even more effective if you pair it with a workout several days each week. You can certainly choose any workouts you like, so long as you keep yourself moving and get a little sweaty, so you know you’re burning calories. But if you’re looking for some new moves to really target your core and tone all around, look no further than some of these moves designed for women from Shape.
Moves for You
- Side plank – great for the waistline. Lie on your side, legs stacked on top of each other, keeping legs straight. Prop your body up on one forearm, and raise your hips until you’re in a straight line from your ankles to your shoulders. Hold for 30 seconds, remembering to breathe and keep your abs in. Lie back down, turn around on the other side, and repeat.
- Pushups – works the entire body. You probably knew this would be in here, since it tightens your core, perks up your chest, and burns lots of calories with such a simple move. Kneel on all fours, hands under your shoulders, and go up on your feet hip-width apart. Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor (use a tennis ball under your chest and touch it, if you’re wondering how far to go down), and then push yourself back up. Your elbows should be pretty close to your sides during the move, and your body should be in a straight line during the sinking and lifting – no butts in the air!
- Plié squats – tones your butt and your thighs. Stand with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart, with your toes turned out. Lower by bending at the knees until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Then bring your arms overhead while you sink your shoulders a little.
- Triceps extension – for your back and arms. Take a lunge position, keeping your back heel on the ground. Lean over your front bent knee – keeping your back straight, and hold your arm out straight along your side – end of the weight facing up. Now lift your arm higher by a few inches, and then lower, for about 30 reps per side.
- Step ups – can’t get much better than that for your legs. It’ll lift your rear and make your legs supple and lean. Stand in front of a bench or a step (or two steps for height). Place one foot firmly on the step, and push up through your leg until the other one is straight.
You can take these moves altogether for a nice, all over workout, or you can do one a day, or add one or two of these to a cardio routine each day you exercise. Look forward to a more invigorated, energetic, and improved you!
If you’re looking for other ideas to be active and healthy, or have any concerns that would keep you from working out, schedule a visit today with the button below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Dr. Julie Drolet
P.S. If you want to be sure your emotions are as healthy as the rest of you, you can learn about how to regulate your hormones in our free webinar, found here.