We talk a lot about how to stay physically fit, eating healthy meals, getting enough exercise and sleep, etc. But a topic we don’t seem to pay as much attention to is our mental health. If we struggle with anxiety or depression, we might read more blog posts, articles, or discussions about mental health. But if worry doesn’t intrude upon your everyday life, or you weren’t taught to make sure you take care of yourself mentally, you might not be taking intentional steps to keep yourself mentally healthy. Here are some ideas to incorporate into your life.
Keep Your Mental State Balanced
- Take time to enjoy things you love: whether its time with family, hobbies, projects, or activities. Plan time to just do what you feel like doing: reading a book, playing with your pet, going for a hike; whatever you like to invest in when you have the time. So try to make the time!
- Give back to your community: You know you feel great when you volunteer, and using your passion to make the world a better place is what we should all do. Whether it’s on a small scale, such as helping out a neighbor, or putting in manual labor hours for a local nonprofit, or even leading a local organization, bettering our communities can help us feel satisfied.
- Take on a new challenge: Learn something you always wanted to, or start taking lessons to work toward that goal. It could be a project or role at work, a life skill like gourmet cooking, or something totally out of the box for you (rock climbing??). It’ll keep your brain ticking.
- Ask for help: Whether its someone to watch the kids so you can have some time to yourself, or something with a bigger commitment such as visiting a counselor or taking classes to make you a better parent, mentor, or professional, asking for help where you need it can help smooth the bumps you might be encountering.
- Find your trigger: We all face stress one way or another throughout our days. Identifying what triggers your reactions can help you prepare and manage your emotions and how you cope with stress.
- Connect: Maintaining strong relationships with those around you will enrich your life, especially if those folks are supportive. Make time for the friends you might not see every day, and continue to invest in people whoare on your life journey with you. These relationships will reap great rewards.
Following these steps will help you find a greater sense of balance and peace in our busy, crazy lives. If you’d like to find more ways to keep your health on the right track, schedule a visit today by clicking below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Dr. Julie Drolet
P.S. Your hormones play a key role in how you feel each day, and you can find out more about them in our free webinar, found here.