I have a theory that kids can smell healthy food from a mile away.
There’s just something in their child DNA that tells them when a food is healthy…and then they proceed to hate it for all eternity.
And when Halloween comes around, those kiddie spider senses seems to be amplified. Every “eyeball” peeled grape and “jack-o-lantern” orange has kids running for the hills. Or, more accurately…running for the candy stash.
I’m a realist when it comes to health and I don’t think it’s a good idea to try to keep kids from Halloween treats entirely. They’re going to stock up on sugar whether we like it or not — Halloween is part of being a kid!
But I do think it’s smart to have a healthy alternative that you can add into the mix.
And that, NAME, is what Boo Pops are all about. They’re sweet, they’re simple, and they’re sneaky enough to fool even the savviest healthy-food-hating kid (or adult!).
1 medium banana
1 small container of vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt (or plain Greek yogurt, mixed with some honey for sweetness)
8 mini chocolate chips
4 Popsicle sticks
1. Slice the banana down the middle lengthwise, then chop each slice in half the other way.
2. Insert one Popsicle stick into each banana quarter and freeze bananas on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet.
3. When the bananas are frozen, take them out and dip into the Greek yogurt. Turn the banana over so that the entire piece is covered in yogurt. You may need to use a pastry brush to cover the whole banana.
4. Place each banana back on the cookie sheet and add two chocolate chips onto each for the eyes.
5. Return to the freezer until the Greek yogurt hardens. Eat frozen.
We’d love to talk sneaky healthy swaps at your next appointment! Call us anytime at 717-840-9885 or click the button below to schedule.