Up first on my to-do list? Make a batch of mouth-watering corn chowder that the whole family will lap up. It’s the perfect meal to incorporate the season’s fresh corn and enjoy the last of the summer produce.
Oh, and did I mention it’s vegan? I know, I know — I didn’t think vegan chowder would be any good either. But trust me, this corn chowder is life-changing.
It’s all to do with the yummy vegan twist on dairy cream. I would never have expected it, but it puts this recipe over-the-top.
(Recipe from Oh My Veggies)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic
1 fresh jalapeño pepper (more if you like spice!)
3 cups fresh corn kernels (or thawed frozen corn)
1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk*
3 cups water
1 tsp fresh lime zest
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper
Toppings (optional, but highly recommended!)
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
½ cup fresh corn kernels
3 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- First, prep the veggies. Slice the fresh corn off the cob (or thaw if you’re using frozen corn.) Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Slice the jalapeño lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. (The spice lives in the seeds, so make sure to scoop them all out for just the right amount of heat.) Then chop up the jalapeño.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium/high heat. When it’s hot, add the onion and sauté until softened (about 5 minutes.) Add the garlic, jalapeño, and corn and cook until the veggies are soft (about 5 minutes.)
- Add the coconut milk and water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer about 15-20 minutes, until the veggies are tender.
- Use an immersion blender (or pour your soup into your blender in small batches) and puree until smooth.
- Return your soup to the pot and add the lime zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Dish out the soup into bowls, adding the toppings if desired.
*Note: You can swap out the coconut milk for another dairy-free milk like almond or cashew. Just make sure your milk is unsweetened!
With meals this yummy, it feels easy being healthy. We’re full of ‘em — give us a call at 717-840-9885 or click the button below and we can share more recipes!
Dr. Julie Drolet
P.S. Did you recently have an appointment with us?
Fill out this survey to tell us about your experience.